What you do, the way you think, makes you beautiful.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Proximity Effect

Who all is affected by the proximity effect? You know, that condition where you believe in "out of sight, out of mind"? Maybe that's a little too cold for this condition, but basically whatever is right in front of you is what you're going to focus on. I have been told that I suffer from this to a certain degree. While I don't necessarily think this is bad, it does leave room for heartbreak. Now, what do I mean by heartbreak exactly? I am someone who does not like to hurt others, especially emotionally. I know for myself that emotional pain is probably one of the most intense and difficult things to overcome. I've never been depressed and I really don't ever want to go there, but when you promise someone your world in the blink of an eye, and you have been taught to follow through with your promises, you're sort of setting yourself up for disappointment.

Ask yourself what you want. While other people do matter, you are the one that has to live your life. You have to understand why things have happened and where they are going, but you can't do this unless you are right in the action. The proximity effect keeps you focused, yes, but what about those who don't suffer from this as badly? What if you gave your heart to someone who won't let go and you find yourself focusing on other things? How do you deal with their mental status?

Just do the right thing. Be kind and patient, and try to understand why. Keep an open mind and an open heart. Trust.

Sometimes I want so badly to do the right thing I get ahead myself. I get caught in a moment and make promises I know I shouldn't, and then I have to deal with the consequences later. If there's anything I'm learning now, it's that I need to think things through, and don't jump until you know you can handle the consequences.

However, sometimes jumping is the only way to progress. Without risk, there is no progress.

I have to apologize. I've been house sitting for the last week and when the only company you have are 3 little dogs and a couple of high school boys, your mind doesn't exactly grow and expand the way it did when out at school. Plus, without proper rest, my mind likes to wonder. So, this is vague food for thought. But, let's just say this fall is going to be very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment